Labels

Monday, December 14, 2009

Shrimp Creole


A few years ago, my husband and I took a getaway without the girls to New Orleans. My husband said we could eat at Emeril Lagasses' restaurant. Although that sounded tempting, I suggested that instead of spending (on what I assumed would be a lot of money on one meal) that we sample the best that New Orleans has to offer. So I got on the internet and did some research. We spent 3 days and nights walking through the French Quarter going from one restaurant to the next just to sample their signature dish and grabbing drinks from "to go bars"! I loved the party in the street atmosphere and the blaring jazz music. The trip was a culinary delight as we ate the best oysters, po' boys, muffulettas, gumbo, creole, jambalaya, red beans and rice, crawfish étouffée, etc! One of my favorite memories was exploring the farmers market and buying bar-b-que shrimp and crawfish and then finding a bench along the Mississippi River to relax and enjoy our food. We also did manage to take a trolley to the Garden City and a horse and carriage ride to enjoy the beautiful architecture that the city has to offer.

So here is my favorite recipe from the "Best of New Orleans".

2 T butter

1 large onion
chopped)
1 large green bell pepper
(diced)
2 cloves garlic

Saute in large pan until soft


Add:
1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
1 (8 ounce) bottle of clam juice (I prefer Look's Atlantic)
1
/4 t paprika
1/4 t salt

1/4 t dried thyme

1/8 t pepper

1/8 t cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
Cook on medium heat for 25 minutes.

Before serving add the 1 half pound of large raw, cleaned and divined shrimp and cook until it turns pink and opaque (around four minutes). Remove the bay leaf.


Serve with with rice.


MY TIP: The original recipes doubles the amount of the spices that I used, so if you really like spicy hot Cajun food you may want to add more!

No comments:

Post a Comment