Labels

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Easy as pie!


Fall is my absolute favorite time of year! I love everything about it--drives in the country to see the changing leaves, hiking in the woods, hayrides, bonfires, pumpkin picking, harvest parties and football (well, maybe it's tailgating and hanging with friends that I like more!).

When I saw this recipe, I knew I would try it to use up the apples leftover from apple picking. I actually never make apple pie. That task is left to my husband and daughter Jenny. It is their tradition. As soon as we come home from a fun afternoon of picking apples, they start right into making the pies.

Apple Raisin Pie Slices:

1 refrigerated pie crust (I used Pillsbury)
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups finely chopped, peeled baking apples

1/4 cup dark raisins

1 Tablespoon butter

1 Tablespoon sugar


Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. Unroll crust. Place crust in center of cookie sheet.

Mix 1/4 cup sugar, the flour and cinnamon. Add apples and raisins, toss to coat. Spoon apple mixture lengthwise down center third of crust to from 5 inch wide strip to within 1/2 inch of top and bottom ends, pressing lightly to distribute evenly. Dot apple mixture with butter.

Fold sides of cruse to center, overlapping center slightly, to enclose apple mixture . Fold top and bottom ends over about 1/2 inch. Brush lightly with water, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.


Bake for 18 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

MY TIP: I noticed the top and bottom edges were browning faster, so I covered the edges in tin foil (just like you would do for a pie).

I think what appeals to me most about this recipe is the rustic shape. I also like that the addition of the dark raisins adds a little color. The taste was also good, so I will use this at our next Oktoberfest party or Beer Tasting Party.

No comments:

Post a Comment