Labels

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Pear Crostini


I saw a recipe for pear crositni and thought I would just make it for Thanksgiving without testing it first (which is something I never do!). Well then I remembered I had two recipes for pear crostini. Both similar, yet slightly different. So it was pear crostini day at our house! Both recipes were judged first on presentation and second on taste. I know that your thinking that taste should be the first criteria. But for me, if it's not pretty I don't like to serve it no matter how good it tastes!

Recipe 1:
Ingredients:
french baguette
green pear
good quality blue cheese
butter

Directions:
Slice french baguette
Core and slice a pear into thin strips
Saute pears in a little butter until tender
Put 3 pears slices on baguette in a fan style
Top with blue cheese
And bake at 350 degrees until cheese melts

Recipe 2:
Ingredients:
french baguette
green pear
good quality blue cheese
Philadelphia cream Cheese
extra virgin olive oil

Directions:
Slice french baguette
Lightly oil the baguette slices and bake at 350 degrees until the baguette is toast-like
Core and slice a pear into thin strips
Mix cream cheese and blue cheese to taste
Spread on the toasted baguette and top with a pear slice

It was unanimous: THE WINNER IS RECIPE #2

I am glad I tested them because I was just going to serve the first recipe. Although it was good, the second was better. These will be a good reminder to me that no matter how similar the recipes may be it's always best to try them out before serving them to company!

I think the cream cheese gave the flavor some extra depth. And the crunch and freshness of the raw pear was preferred over the softer sauteed pears. I liked the presentation and thought the green pear gave it more color. I also liked that the pear did not turn brown, which I thought it might. So this was super simple and will make a great addition for my fall appetizers and this will definitely be served at Thanksgiving!

MY TIP: I have used the same cream cheese/blue cheese combination on endive leaves and topped with crushed walnuts. It makes for a little more formal presentation and is great for a cocktail party!

No comments:

Post a Comment