Labels

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Prosciutto and Blue Cheese Spoons



I love the spoon appetizer. There is something about the presentation that just intrigues me. It also intrigues others because whenever I serve these they always draw attention. Spoon appetizers are traditionally served on Chinese spoons, but I prefer a more formal presentation so I serve them on my good silver. These small bites are packed with big flavor.The pungent taste of the blue cheese, with the sweetness of the caramelized onions, along with the saltiness of the prosciutto makes this one of my favorite appetizers.

Ingredients:

3 imported prosciutto slices
2 small onions, slice very thin
1 ounces of blue cheese
1 Tablespoon of red wine or raspberry vinegar
1 1/2 Tablespoons butter
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Directions:

Peel and slice onions very thin. Cook on low heat until caramelized around 1o minutes. Add wine and turn heat up to medium until alcohol evaporates. When done, put onions on spoon, add some cheese and top with prosciutto. Serve immediately. This makes 10 spoons.

MY TIP: I prefer the intense flavor that the blue cheese provides, but you can substitute freshly grated parmesan cheese for a much milder but equally delicious appetizer!

MY OTHER TIP: For the best taste, these need to be served warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment